Friday, September 1, 2017

Youth Lit Blog #1



The Book of Bad Things
 
by Clive Gifford

Hardcover: 32 pages

Subject Headings: 

Children’s literature, History, Conspiracies

Appeal:

Horror elements, Nonfiction, Puzzles


Plot Summary:
                This piece of literature allows readers to follow the exciting narrative of Count Droffig as he attempts to learn the secrets to the Book of Bad Things. The readers are treated to engaging and interactive visuals that present some of the darker facts of history without being overbearing. The book includes a puzzle to solve and hides clues in the narratives and in real history. It introduces a lot of hard-to-discuss topics in an interesting way. I would defiantly recommend this book for children who enjoy mysteries, conspiracies, or horror novels. The narrative of Count Droffig is exciting and fast paced, and ties the history written on the pages into his story. I loved the occult undertones mixed with the nonfictional history.

Image result for the book of bad things clive gifford

3 comments:

  1. I'm not into the occult like is sounds you are, but I do like to solve puzzles and find hidden clues. Maybe I need to add this book to my 'to read' book list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really interesting! I have never heard of it before. Like Mary, I love puzzles and putting together clues. I like how it seems like a fictional book, but according to you, it weaves in historical information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like it'd be a great way to introduce kids who enjoy fiction to a nonfiction text! I love that it's interactive, and just look at that cover! This might be just me, but sometimes I feel like nonfiction books don't do themselves any favors with the cover art... some are just plain ugly. I know you aren't supposed to "judge a book by its cover," but we all do it, especially kids. This cover looks like it would draw kids in, not put them off.

    ReplyDelete