Thursday, February 9, 2017

Kirkus Review



Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge

A young woman is not who she seems as she attempts to rescue herself, her other self, and her stolen family.
In this Frankenstein styled horror of mayhem, doppelgangers, and Fae we follow Trish on and twisting adventure. Having woken up from an accident, starving and confused, the main protagonist Trish tries to piece together what happened to her. Her parents coddle her and insist she is not well, while her younger sister accuses her of something much more sinister. Nothing is ever quite what you expect in this novel, and every twist will leave you hungry for more. The reader feels the anticipation as Trish races through the novel followed by a deadly countdown to her own demise. Frances expertly weaves in hidden clues for readers to try and piece together answers of the protagonist’s plight as time ticks away. There are very strong themes of trying to find a sense of belonging and fighting for what you believe is right throughout this novel, which are tempered by the strong feeling of peril during this dark fairy tale.
I would defiantly recommend for older and younger readers alike. I was left devouring this novel in hungry anticipation for its duration.

4 comments:

  1. I love your wording "I was left devouring this novel in hungry anticipation..." It makes me think I am missing something dark and sinister. This book sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I don't usually read this genre, I feel competent suggesting this title to patrons after your compelling review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your patrons enjoy it as much as I did. I actually checked it out first from the library as an eBook, and then bought a hard copy for myself afterwards.

      Delete