Friday, January 20, 2017

Reading Profile

Hello everyone! My name is Brandi and I love reading.

My schedule as of late has made it more difficult to find the time to read as much as I want, but that just makes it more satisfying when I get to sit down and enjoy a good book. Fantasy is probably my all time favorite genre, but by no means my only devotion. I also love a good horror novel or historical fiction. I also like to try and make time occasionally for some of the classics like Dracula or Call of the Wild when possible.

I enjoy browsing through sites like Goodreads and LibraryThing for some occasional inspiration on reading topics. They make some excellent recommendations based on my previous selections. Maybe this year I will do one of their reading challenges to get some new book list recommendations. I may also try to look up some additional books written by authors of some recent favorites. Some of those authors would be Frances Hardinge, Laurell K. Hamilton, D.M. Cornish, and Holly Black.

I would have to say I have rarely had to think about the reasons I liked the books I do in appeal terms, like recommended in the School Library Journal's article, 'It's All About the Text Appeal'. However, I can see how they would make finding book recommendations much simpler (Nesi 1). If I am in the mood for suspense, I want a slow burning novel with darker tones and clever dialog. In the case of an action or adventure novel, I prefer something fast-paced with witty dialog and ideally some comedic undertones.

 I wouldn't mind breaking into some new genres as well this year. I have never really gotten into mystery novels, but I wouldn't mind trying to break into the genre. I think that some more diverse genres would also be a good choice too. The wider a variety of reading materials I am familiar with, the better at reader advisory I can be!

 References:
Nesi, Olga. "It’s All About Text Appeal." School Library Journal. N.p., 1 Aug. 2010. Web. 20 Jan. 2017.

2 comments:

  1. Great profile! I was obsessed with Laurell K. Hamilton in high school. I read the first 8 Anita Blake books over and over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I own the majority of the Anita Blake series at this point, it is a really great series.

      Delete